|Centuries:||11th century – 12th century – 13th century|
|Decades:||1160s 1170s 1180s – 1190s – 1200s 1210s 1220s|
|Years:||1195 1196 1197 – 1198 – 1199 1200 1201|
The following is a list of numismatic and historical events relating to currency that occurred in the year 1198.
- January 6: The Armenian Kingdom of Cilicia is established by Leo I.
- January 8: Pope Innocent III succeeds Pope Celestine III as the 176th pope.
- March: Philip of Swabia is elected King of Germany by his supporters.
- July: Otto IV is crowned King of Germany by the House of Welf
- Tsuchimikado succeeds Go-Toba as Emperor of Japan.
- Frederick II, son of Henry VI of Germany, is crowned King of Sicily
- The Kingdom of Bohemia is established by Ottokar I.
- The first known Anno Domini dated coin is issued by the Kingdom of Sicily.